Friday, August 22, 2008

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles, and Vans, and Taxis

I had tried to go to Hong Kong for one night to visit a friend but with an impending typhoon, 12 hours of travel (nothing direct...) and absurd prices I voted to come to Beijing a day early. By the time I landed Zach (team ticketmaster) had a synchronized swimming ticket waiting for me and off we went to see the Russians win. Then I made the mistake/adventure of going with Carrie to find her family in Tiannamen square and after an hour on the crowded subway it was a mess. Then as we looked for a place to eat it took us, no joke, over an hour to find a taxi. We actually never did find a taxi and we ended up eating at "Food City"-- Hey, it was food.

We made it to the Bird's Nest just in time to catch Brian Clay win the Pentathlon and Aussie Hooker win the pole vault. Riding the village bus with all the athletes is pretty fun-- feels like the Olympics! Carrie said how cool it was to see the Olympians doing everyday things-- it makes them like real people. I had to remind her she's also an Olympian who does everyday things.

I'm keeping this one short because Beijing is kind of a whirlwind. I'm going to the Great Wall now with Carrie's family and need to hop to it, but more details and pictures to come!

No comments: